EU Announces Aid Package Worth $252 Million To Contain COVID-19

Publish On: 25 Feb, 2020 09:59 AM | Updated   |   Shivalik  

The European Union (EU) has announced a replacement aid package worth $232 million euros to spice up global preparedness, prevention and containment of the fast-spreading coronavirus.

The funding will "help detect and diagnose the disease, care for infected people and prevent further transmission", Xinhua press agency quoted the EU as saying during a statement on Monday.

Around half the entire, or 114 million euros, will support the World Health Organization (WHO), especially the worldwide preparedness and response global plan, and 100 million euros will go to research associated with diagnostics, therapeutics and prevention.

"As cases continue to rise, public health is the number one priority. Whether it is boosting preparedness in Europe, in China or elsewhere, the international community must work together," said Ursula von der Leyen, the President of the European Commission.


Part of these funds is going to be allocated immediately to different sectors, while the remainder is going to be released within the next months. 
The latest EU action was made public after Italy confirmed over 220 cases with seven fatalities, the most important in Europe.

As a reaction to the developments in Italy, the Commission said it had been stepping up its support to EU member states.